Taxing your vehicle

Taxing your vehicle

02 November 2011
<< Go Back

Taxing your vehicle

It is illegal to drive a vehicle on UK roads without Road Tax. Before you tax the vehicle you have to have insurance protection in force and an MOT certificate for a vehicle that is over three years old. Failure to produce these documents will prevent you from being able to tax the vehicle.

The Insurance Cover

To tax the vehicle your insurance should –

Should protect you against a third party claim for injury, death or damage to property caused by usage of the vehicle

The policy has to be valid on the date the disc comes into force

Use of the vehicle should be covered for tax purposes

The Certificate and Cover Notes –

Are printed or laser printed documents, some are also credit card style documents that are plasticised.

It is worth noting that the following documents will not be acceptable when renewing –

The policy schedule or renewal notice

A receipt for payment

An amended cover note or certificate is accepted only when stamped or initialed by the insurer.

A faxed or photocopied certificate is not accepted

Downloaded certificates from the internet

The ‘Green Card’ (International Motor Insurance Card)

Non UK certificates

A legal protection policy

If you have lost your certificate, had it stolen, or it is damaged make sure to obtain a duplicate certificate or cover note from the insurer.

You will have to wait until you allowed to drive your vehicle on the road, if you are not in possession of an insurance certificate or insurance cover that has not been renewed on the Motor Insurance Database. You can check the database online to see if this has been done. This will also apply if taxing your vehicle online with the DVLA’s online taxing service.

If renewing at a Post Office or local DVLA office you will need your insurance certificate and MOT if applicable.

Likewise if your MOT or Insurance certificate have expired or you are waiting for either of them due to different circumstances, before getting your vehicle tax, your vehicle must be removed from any public road and must not be driven. When your vehicle is off the road you have a 14 day period in which to get the tax disc or make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

 MOT (Ministry of Transport) tests are carried out every year and are required for cars, motorbikes, motor caravans and light good vehicles over three years old. This includes any vehicle, that carries more than 8 passengers (and seating), plus taxis that are over one year old. This does not include private hire vehicles.

If you are not sure when your MOT expires, you are to check online or by calling the ‘MOT status check service’ on 0870-3300444.

The day a tax disc comes into force, a valid MOT certificate must be produced. There is an exception to the rule in that if the tax were start on the 1st April but the MOT runs out on the 31st March, you would not be able to get the tax disc as the tax begins on the following day. Original certificates only are acceptable.

If you lose your MOT certificate, you can obtain a duplicate from any MOT testing station for a fee of £10. Take your registration document with you as proof of registration and reference number.

If you have a vehicle that is MOT exempt, you will need to produce a completed form V112 (Claim for exemption from MOT Testing). IE Tractor, Invalid carriage the full list is on the form.

If you want to MOT your vehicle without road tax, you are allowed to travel to and from the MOT testing station with a prearranged testing time, as long as the vehicle is insured. The same rule applies if the vehicle needs a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC).

Taxing your vehicle  |  The disabled  |  More taxing info

(Back to Car Advice)