Making a claim

Making a claim

17 November 2011
<< Go Back

Buying Motorcycle Insurance  |  Making a claim  |  Riding abroad  |  Uninsured Riding  |  Motorcycle Insurance Specialists  |  Insuring your motorcycle

(Back to Bike Advice)


When it happens - Being involved in an accident that involves injury or damage to property, vehicles, people or animals whether serious or not means providing and receiving your details and that of the other driver/rider (or drivers/riders) that have been involved. Names,


Telephone details

All registration numbers

Full insurance details if at hand

If all the details are not forthcoming you are advised to report the accident to the police within 24 hours. Even if you do not intend to make a claim, your insurance company should be informed. If you don’t and you encounter a problem in the future, a potential future claim may be invalid.

If you get caught up in an accident where the driver has no insurance, this should be reported to the police and your insurance company, who will provide advice regarding a claim. An organization called the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) is there to help get you compensation as a victim of being in collision or hit and run by an uninsured driver.

If you wish to drive to the continent (European Union or EU), currently all UK policies provide the minimum amount of cover under European law. This includes the minimum amount of cover in the UK or whichever is the greater. This will not include damage to, or theft from your motorcycle. Contact your current insurer in the first instance to see if they will provide you with like for like comprehensive cover for the period you will be away. If driving out of the EU Zone, a Green Card is required; this is to prove that you are at least covered by the minimal legal limit of the country being visited. For more information:

Motor Insurers' Bureau

Linford Wood House
6-12 Capital Drive
Linford Wood
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XT

Telephone: 01908 830 001
Fax: 01908 671 681

Firstly your motorcycle should be protected by fully comprehensive cover. Contact the insurance company you are with. They will require the full details, and where applicable a crime number if you have reported the incident to the police.

The insurance company will send you a claim form to complete giving full details of the incident and where another vehicle has been involved usually a diagram to illustrate what has happened.

Claims can be made for the following where you are not accountable –

Where their has been personal injury

Where this is damage to property

Certain ‘out of pocket’ expenses IE transport costs

Shortfall in earnings capacity, especially if you are self –employed

A reclaim of policy excess

Most importantly any personal injury you have suffered

Your insurance company will guide you, in the right direction with reference to personal injury claims and what must be done where to get your vehicle repaired etc. Be patient, sometimes it can be a lengthy process.