Learning to Ride

Learning to Ride

15 November 2011
<< Go Back


Learning to ride information

Firstly you will need a provisional driving licence, this can easily be done through the internet following the link below by direct.gov:


Alternatively by completing a form D1 from the DVLA; which can be ordered via Post Office® Branches. Don’t forget to enclose original forms of ID with passport type photographs and a fee of currently £50. Send to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD.

You can ride a moped on the road, with a provisional licence from the age of 16 however this must be validated by completing a compulsory basic training course (CBT) there are more details in ‘The basics’ section of the ‘Learning to ride category’. ‘L’ plates must be displayed on your moped when on the road. Also:

The engine capacity should not exceed 50cc

The maximum design speed should not exceed 50 km/h (31 mph)

If your moped was first used before 1st September 1977 it can be moved by the pedals.

A standard provisional licence is required for a rider from 17 years of age and over. For a rider aged 17 and above lighter motorcycles can be ridden with a engine size up to 125cc and power output of up to 11 kw which equates 14.6 brake horse power.

A full motorcycle licence can then be taken and if passed has a 2 year restriction to only ride bikes up a maximum of 25kw of power and a power to weight ration that does not exceed 0.16 kw/kg. After this period all restrictions are lifted.

If you reach the age of 21 during the 2 period mentioned and wish to ride a larger motorcycle a further test is required of at least 35kw

It is also worth noting that if you obtained your CBT certificate with a moped then this is also valid for motorcycles upon reaching the age of 17.

Learning to ride information | The basics | The motorcyclists enhanced rider scheme |

(Back to Bike Advice)